Loaded with bananas and blueberries, these 100% whole grain muffins are low in calories and sugar while bursting with flavor! Incredibly easy to make, you probably have everything you need on hand to whip up a quick batch. The simplest recipes are always a hit at my house and I love any recipe that doesn’t require an extra trip to the store!!
Now before we dive right in, there are a few simple tips to keep in mind to guarantee these breakfast beauties are light and sweet while also keeping them super healthy.
1) Brown brown brown bananas. Basically, the riper the banana is, the sweeter it is. This sad brown mushy bunch is actually PERFECT for what we have going on today. If your bananas are still pretty yellow, no worries, you can still use them but I would suggest increasing the sugar by about 1/4 cup.
2) White whole wheat flour. My absolute favorite for baking up whole grain goodies. All the whole grain goodness but it bakes up much lighter with a milder flavor than plain whole wheat flour.
3) Blueberries, fresh or frozen, you’re good to go and if you don’t have blueberries, any berry will work. I used frozen blueberries and they were perfect!
4) Don’t over mix. Be gentle when mixing the wet into the dry and when stirring in the berries. Over mixing will give you a tough muffin which is definitely not the goal here!
Whole Wheat Banana Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 overripe medium bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plain, nonfat yogurt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
Preheat oven to 350
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, mash bananas until smooth.
Whisk in eggs, sugar, vanilla, and milk.
Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients, being careful not to over mix.
Gently stir in blueberries.
Divide among a greased muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick removes cleanly. Enjoy.
Nutrition Facts Servings 12.0 Amount Per Serving 1 muffin calories 153 % Daily Value * Total Fat 1 g 2 % Saturated Fat 0 g 2 % Monounsaturated Fat 0 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 32 mg 11 % Sodium 82 mg 3 % Potassium 204 mg 6 % Total Carbohydrate 29 g 10 % Dietary Fiber 3 g 14 % Sugars 12 g Protein 5 g 10 % Vitamin A 2 % Vitamin C 7 % Calcium 5 % Iron 8 %
Weight Watchers SmartPoints- 6
Old PointsPlus - 4