Light and decadent, this chocolate chip angel food cake roll has a sweet cream cheese, whipped filling that’s loaded with fresh strawberries. Only 211 calories a serving!! Strawberries, chocolate, and that subtly sweet, creamy, berry packed filling…. this is absolutely the PERFECT spring inspired recipe to complement your Easter weekend.
Need more convincing? It’s soooo easy to make. I literally made this 3 times this week with a wiggly 10 month old on my hip. Sometimes in the crazy insanity that is spring break/Easter/3 insanely active kids, you just need an easy to make dessert. I have just a few quick tips/notes before you get started.
1) Use a boxed mix. I am usually not a huge fan of cake mixes BUT I have to admit, using boxed angel food cake mix is a HUGE time saver, tastes great, and the calories aren’t significantly increased.
2) Use heavy whipping cream. Ok, so yes, heavy whipping cream isn’t exactly a health food. HOWEVER, taste wise, using freshly whipped cream over a store bought light whip is so over the top better. I think a few extra calories are so worth it in this case.
3) Make a day ahead. The easiest, most effective way of doing this, is to make the angel food cake the day before. I whipped up the cake portion in less than 15 minutes. Just add water to your cake mix, beat for 1 minute and then pour into two PARCHMENT PAPER LINED cookie sheets. Make sure your baking sheets have a raised side as pictured. Once baked, allow to cool for about 15-20 minutes before gently rolling (keep the parchment paper on for now) Allow to cool COMPLETELY in rolled form and then wrap in plastic until ready to fill the next day.
4) Use a bread knife or serrated knife to slice. Angel food cake is delicate and easily squashed. I found that gently cutting with is small bread knife significantly helped keep the roll looking just as pretty sliced.
Alright, you’re ready to go. Happy baking!!
Light Strawberry Cream Roll
- 1 16 ounce boxed angel food cake mix
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, cold
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoon sugar free fudge topping (any fudge topping is fine)
Preheat oven to 350F
Mix boxed angel food cake as directed on the package*
Divide between two parchment paper lined baking sheets. (See photo 1)
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of mini semi sweet chocolate chips over each pan of batter.
Bake 11-12 minutes or until the sides start lightly browning.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
Using a full knife, gently separate the cake from the sides of the baking sheet and roll cake, leaving the parchment paper on. (See photo 2)
Allow to cool completely. If preparing a day ahead, wrap in plastic and keep at room temperature.
Using a grease free, dry glass or metal bowl, beat cold heavy whipping cream on high until it thickens.
Add softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla and beat on high until whip is thick and will peak when the beaters are pulled away.
Beat in diced strawberries.
Gently unroll the cake and remove parchment paper.
Spread half of the strawberry whip on each unrolled cake and gently roll up cake again. (See photo 3)
Drizzle warmed fudge topping on each cake roll. Refrigerate or serve immediately.**
* I simply added water and beat it for 60 seconds
** When slicing, use a bread knife or any knife with a serrated edge.
Nutrition Facts Servings 20.0 Amount Per Serving calories 211 % Daily Value * Total Fat 11 g 17 % Saturated Fat 7 g 34 % Monounsaturated Fat 3 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 37 mg 12 % Sodium 228 mg 9 % Potassium 61 mg 2 % Total Carbohydrate 26 g 9 % Dietary Fiber 0 g 1 % Sugars 19 g Protein 3 g 6 % Vitamin A 8 % Vitamin C 12 % Calcium 5 % Iron 0 %