Breakfast

Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Incredibly light and fluffy, these whole grain pancakes are kept moist with Greek yogurt and have an impressive 6 grams of protein per 115 calorie pancake. I’m just gonna say it. These are, without a doubt, the best damn pancakes that I’ve ever made. Ridiculously moist, while at the same time ridiculously light and fluffy… it’s going to be hard to control yourself around these babies. The good news? You really don’t need to! Mashed banana, Greek yogurt, whole wheat flour, and egg whites are our main ingredients here. All super healthy and packed with protein and fiber.

Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes

In order to achieve the ultimate fluffy factor, (pancakes are serious business in this house😉) there are a few key things to remember.

1) Whip the egg whites. This is the most important step and well worth the extra 2-3 minutes that it takes. When using ingredients such as Greek yogurt, bananas, and wholegrain flour…. you run the risk of dense pancakes which is just….. well, it’s not acceptable when you’ve got pancake cravings. All you have to do is beat the egg whites until they are frothy. Then beat in the mashed banana and Greek yogurt. You won’t regret it!!

2) White whole wheat flour. I love me some whole grains BUT if you use plain whole wheat flour, be aware that your pancakes will be a bit heavier and have a nuttier flavor to them.

Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes

3) Do not over mix. After beating the egg whites and other wet ingredients, you’ll need to GENTLY stir in the flour mixture. Over mixing will create chewy pancakes and again….. we are all about light, fluffy pancakes today.

4) How sweet? I used 2 small packets of stevia in the whole batter and found that the banana and chocolate chips provided enough sweetness for me. If you’re not planning on using any syrup or just like a bit of sweeter morning treat, I’d suggest increasing it to 4 small packets of your favorite sweetener or 2-3 tablespoons of sugar.

That’s it, you’re ready to go! I hope you love them as much as I did.

Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Pancake

  • Yield: 9 pancakes
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 8 minutes

Ingredients

  • 1 over-ripe banana, mashed
  • 4 large egg-whites
  • 1 cup plain, nonfat greek yogurt
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 small packets stevia (2 grams) *
  • 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Instructions

  1. Using beaters, beat egg whites on high until frothy.

  2. Beat in yogurt and mashed banana. Set aside.

  3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and sweetener.

  4. Gently stir dry ingredients into the egg white mixture.

  5. Gently stir in chocolate chips.

  6. Pre-heat skillet on a low/medium heat.

  7. Using a heaping 1/4 cup of batter, drop on well greased skillet.

  8. Cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.

  9. Flip over and cook another 3 minutes or until cooked through. Cooking times will vary depending on how hot your skillet is.

  10. Serve plain or with drizzle of maple syrup.

Notes

* Increase to 4 packets (8 grams) or use 2-3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
Nutrition Facts Servings 9.0 Amount Per Serving 1 pancake Calories 115 % Daily Value Total Fat 2 g 3 % Saturated Fat 1 g 7 % Monounsaturated Fat 0 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 3 mg 1 % Sodium 52 mg 2 % Potassium 61 mg 2 % Total Carbohydrate 16 g 5 % Dietary Fiber 2 g 7 % Sugars 7 g Protein 6 g 13 % Vitamin A 0 % Vitamin C 2 % Calcium 6 % Iron 4 %

Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Hi, my name is Samantha and I am a self-proclaimed foodie. I love experimenting in my kitchen and creating lightened up versions of all my favorite foods. My husband and kids are my official taste testers/guinea pigs, so rest assured, if it receives a thumbs up from them, it will be a family favorite.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *