Healthy and hearty, this savory potato corn chowder is packed with flavor and loaded with lean turkey sausage. Easy and basic ingredients make this chowder a perfect way to fill up and warm up on those busy weeknights.
Light Potato Corn Chowder
- 4 cups reduced fat/sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 5 cups peeled and diced russet potatoes (5-6 small potatoes)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 15ounce can creamed corn
- 1 cup yellow canned corn
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup fat free half and half
- 1 link (13 ounces) lean turkey kielbasa (polish sausage) I used Aldi's Fit n Active brand.
In a large soup pot, bring the broth, water, potatoes, and onion to a boil.
Once boiling, lower heat and simmer until potatoes begin to soften.
Add diced pepper, creamed corn, whole corn, and spices.
Once peppers and potatoes are very soft, add the half and half.
Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes to break them apart and thicken the soup. Don't mash them to a purée, be sure to keep some of the diced potatoes intact for texture.
Add diced kielbasa (or farmers sausage or ham) and simmer until ready to eat.
Serve with crackers, cornbread, or biscuits. Enjoy.
Nutrition Facts Servings 11 Amount Per Serving 1 cup Calories 156 Total Fat 3g Saturated Fat 1g Monounsaturated Fat 0g Polyunsaturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 22mg Sodium 792mg Potassium 470mg Total Carbohydrate 26g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 6g Protein 8g