Just six basic ingredients, a sprinkle of your favorite spices, and these healthy, savory stuffed peppers can be slow roasting in your crockpot in less than 20 minutes.
1) I got the cutest Michigan State crockpot for Christmas
2) My sister recently got a crockpot as well and was so excited that I felt rather inspired.
3) Admit it, crockpots are awesome.
2) Second of all, I really wanted something that was filling, full of protein, and low calorie. These peppers meet all of those requirements. Stuffed to the brim with lean turkey, fiber rich garbanzo beans, and just a bit of feta, these peppers have almost 22 grams of protein and only 232 calories. Now, that is what I’m talking about.
Healthy Crockpot Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (I used 1.2 pounds 93% lean ground turkey)
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1/2 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomato vinaigrette (I used Kraft but any brand is fine)
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 large bell peppers, deseeded and halved
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
In a large bowl, combine turkey, diced onions, beans, vinaigrette, 1/3 cup feta cheese, salt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Mix well.
Divide among 6 bell pepper halves.
Place in greased crockpot and roast on high for 3 1/2 hours.
Reduce heat to low setting, and sprinkle with remaining feta cheese.
Continue roasting 15 more minutes, allowing cheese to soften.
Serve over rice or quinoa.
Nutrition Facts Servings 6.0 Amount Per Serving 1/2 pepper Calories 232 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 4g Monounsaturated Fat 0g Polyunsaturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 74mg Sodium 507mg Potassium 191mg Total Carbohydrate 12g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 5g Protein 22g