Puréed cauliflower, onion, a hint of garlic and a sprinkle of garden sweet peas simmer together in a simple springtime soup. Light and creamy, this delicately spiced soup requires only a few basic ingredients and comes together in minutes. And the best part? 60 calories a cup!!! Do you hear that? ……Yep, that’s all the calorie counters rejoicing. I had 2 cups of this with a sprinkle of leftover bacon for lunch and was completely satisfied. I then had another bowl for dinner with some grilled pork and again, was stuffed for very few calories.
I love low calorie meals that fill me up because of course that means that I can totally rationalize a couple extra helpings of Cinnamon Roll Cookies later this evening as I binge watch my favorite shows. Yes, I know, I should definitely be way more responsible and not stay up so late watching my British science fiction, crime shows or superhero flicks…. I’m 30 years old and a mother of two…. but what can I say? I can only watch so many episodes of Team Umizoomi and Doc Mcstuffins before I start to crave a bit more from that cable bill and besides, I like to think my funny little quirks give me character.
Right about now, cue my husband’s snort 😉 aaaaanyways, back to this….
Cauliflower Garden Sweet Pea Soup
- 4 cups reduced fat reduced sodium chicken broth.
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 medium head cauliflower (coarsly chopped)
- 1 large (7-8ounces) russet potato (peeled, coarsely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups frozen garden sweet peas
In a medium to large soup pot combine broth, water, onion, garlic, potato, and cauliflower and boil until soft.
Using a hand blender (also called an immersion blender) purée everything together until smooth.*
Stir in salt, pepper, and peas.
Allow to simmer until peas have thawed.
* If you don't have a hand blender, you could always very carefully transfer the mixture into a table blender and puree in batches. But be careful because it is HOT.
Nutrition Facts Servings 10 (1 cup) Amount Per Serving Calories 60 Total Fat 0g Saturated Fat 0g Monounsaturated Fat 0g Polyunsaturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 319mg Potassium 279mg Total Carbohydrate 12g Dietary Fiber 3g Sugars 3g Protein 3g