The first question you might be asking is FARRO? HUH? I first used farro while making chili from one of my favorite blogs “Pinch of Yum”. Slightly nutty in flavor and a bit chewy in texture, I fell in love with this grain and try to incorporate into many of my recipes. A complex carbohydrate, farro is high in fiber and protein as well as a number of other vitamins and minerals. You’ll be able to find it in almost any grocery store nowadays near the specialty grains or the rice and quinoa.
Turkey and Farro Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 cup rinsed uncooked farro (you can use rice as a substitute)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1.2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 medium red onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1/3 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup corn (I used frozen)
- 8 oz can chopped green chilies
- 1 14.5 oz can chili style diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Mexican style cheese
- 4 med/large bell peppers (any color)
Preheat oven 350F
Using a small pot, bring water, farro and 1/8 teaspoon salt to a boil and simmer until faro is soft and has absorbed most of the water. Set aside.
In a large bowl combine ground turkey, onion, cilantro, beans, corn, chilies, diced tomatoes, faro, and seasonings. Mix well.
Slice bell peppers in half and deseed them.
Stuff as much of the filling into them as you can and place in a greased pan.
Divide cheese evening among the 8 halves.
Bake for appx 40min. DONE!! Serve with a green salad and maybe some tortilla chips.
235calories per stuffed pepper half.