Anyways back on topic….. Sweet chocolate and slightly tart cherries make the perfect pairing in this almost too good to be true breakfast cookie.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookie
- 1.5 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup milled or ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
- 4 oz (appx 1/2 cup) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cherries
Preheat oven to 350
Combine the oats, flour, milled flaxseed, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
In a medium size mixing bowl thoroughly stir together your sugar, agave nectar, applesauce, egg, butter and vanilla.
Combine the dry ingredients with the wet and mix well. I didn't use beaters but you certainly can.
Gently mix in the cherries and chocolate chips. If you (by some small miracle) found unsweetened cherries, you might think about adding a couple tbsp. of sugar to your dough (and let me know where you found those babies!!!!)
Spoon onto greased cookie sheets 2 tbsp. at a time. I got 17 decent sized cookies out of it.
Bake at 350 for about 9 minutes but as always, every oven is different so around the 8 minutes mark check them.
1 cookie = 121 calories